Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Living in the Matrix



One thing I've come to hate about living in America is that to me it feels like living in a bubble. A soft, comfortable bubble which I adore but a bubble none the less. The simple truth is that life in America is not actually life on Earth. No one else lives the way we do. In fact, 90% of the world doesn't even live *close* to the way we live and yet we go about our daily lives feeling like we're just one of the crew here on Earth. Thinking about how different life is everywhere else is mind boggling. Living in America is like choosing to live in The Matrix. I can understand why most of us want to do it - I want to do it soon! - but remember how you're not actually living on the Earth that everyone else is experiencing or else you're shitting yourself every day. America is not real life on this planet.

To that end, this giant format-busting map from The Red Cross illustrates how Americans live in a false reality where they think Hurricane Sandy was the biggest thing to hit this year. 99% of you never even had the CHANCE to hear about these other occurrences because your normal news outlets didn't cover them. How incredibly odd to not even have access to the truth.

But yes, I'm still planning to come home, drink bubble tea, enjoy electricity, public parks, and festivals. I do love America anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment