Monday, January 21, 2013

Signage

*From mid-December to mid-January my folks visited. Upon their return home, each is writing a post (or more?!) about some part of the experience. Here is my Mom's.

Africa offers many things to experience and enjoy.  Since I am always interested in language, some of the signs and names of things caught my attention.  I thought I’d share a few of the ones that were unique in some way.   In one of the guest houses where we stayed, there was a poster for Andrew’s Car Hire.  His claim was “We drive in many countries. We have negotiable rates. And we promise to get you there alive.”  What a guy!  On the other hand, Harvey Tiles could change your life because “A roof without Harvey Tiles is like Life without Love. It might be meaningless.”  I’m sure you will want to rush right out to get Harvey Tiles for your roof.  But you might be less eager to trust your car to “Bang Auto Spares” or “Decent Car Breaking & Workshop.” I was a little nervous about the truck that announced “Go by Faith, Not by Sight” as looking where one is going seems to be important on the road. I wondered what kind of food one would get at “Plastic Grocery” and who is benefitting from “Exploit University” or what kind of sight one develops at “Double Vision Boys Private School.”  Welcome to “New Stop Over Motel” and “Praise Phone Paradise.” And there’s no denying: “No Farming No Life Shop” and “Inevitable Coffin Shop.”  Finally, “Unmanaged Waste is a Burden to Society.”

No comments:

Post a Comment