Thursday, September 20, 2012

Elephant Rock

On Tuesday I headed north to Mzuzu, the third largest city in Malawi (after Lilongwe and Blantyre). I've been to Mzuzu before, having traveled there for work a few weeks previous. So I knew there was an awesome rock on the way there. I'm not really a rock person - Zach loves 'granite outcroppings' but I feel pretty neutral. But if something is in the shape of an animal then I'm always a fan, even if its just a rock. This time I had the driver stop so I could take a picture. So, I present to you Elephant Rock:

I didn't make up the name - some Malawian dude did, probably a long long time ago. Now the elephant guards the road between Mzuzu and Lilongwe. He's only one of many large granite blobs on the landscape there so if, like Zach, you're into granite outcroppings, I invite you to come visit and drive up to Mzuzu with me:


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello

      Yesterday I was looking at some slides I took in 1976 while working in Malawi.

      One was of Elephant Rock but I could not recall exactly where it was. I got to your blog via Google.

      Amazingly the rock still looks exactly the same after more than 30 years!

      ( Just kidding)

      Kind regards

      Peter Crossley

      Delete
    2. ur not writing a email stupid

      Delete