Sunday, February 24, 2013

Serena and Chimango Are Not Impressed

 Here's me, listening to one of the Health Surveillance Assistants tell me why they have only sent in 15% of their expected number of DNA PCR tests in 2012. And below is my co-mentor, Chimango, listening to why that team will never be able to reach their target. We are not impressed.

To be honest, I don't think we spent most of our time in the field last week making these faces but when I scrolled through the pictures from the week I noticed we definitely spent too much time making them.

Usually the people we met in the health facilities were eager to improve and quick learners. They discussed amongst themselves strategies for improving the number of tests they collect and the number of HIV exposed infants identified. Often Chimango and I felt sort of unnecessary. But, as you can see, sometimes we were a little skeptical.

At any rate, I'm back in the office tomorrow to assess whether mentoring went smoothly. In a few months we'll see whether it had the intended effect on the early infant diagnoses of HIV exposed children in Malawi.

No comments:

Post a Comment