Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Malawi National Library

Soon after moving to Malawi I encountered a dearth of reading material. There is a nice but small English language book store downtown that, surprisingly, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, yet it still leaves much to be desired. So, it was off to the national library for my library card.


It is an interesting process. First you pay 200 kwacha for an application (the attendant said it was to cover material and administrative costs; 200 kwacha is almost an entire day's wage for a laborer) and provide the basic information. In addition you must get a stamp from an employer or somebody/somewhere that will vouch for the applicant. In my case, Serena's job stamped their approval. In return for a completed application you get three small pieces of paper, each of which can be used for a book. I have yet to check out a book--Oliver Twist, I believe, is candidate number one--but when I do there will be a blog post!

3 comments:

  1. do they have an online catalog? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you reuse the 3 pieces of paper or do you have to reapply after you've checked out three books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked out a book yet, but I am guessing you continue to use each paper. They said I could check out three at a time, so I'm extrapolating that means reuse, though those two things aren't necessarily related. We will go when you are here!

      Delete