Sunday, November 18, 2012

Weeknights in Lilongwe

Since Malawi is at 13 degrees latitude it means that by 6:30 pm we're enveloped in darkness. About one third of the time the electricity is out so when I say 'darkness' I mean it's actually dark - not like America, where street lights give everything adequate light. Unfortunately it's not safe to be outside in the dark. That means that we're pretty much on lockdown beginning at 6:30pm with an occasional exception when we drive somewhere (with the windows rolled up and the car doors locked).

That means we have lots of time for board games! Big thanks to Carol for sending us Settlers of Catan. Above you see Zachary and Cary playing a variation of the game in which the board has been designed to resemble Jamaica, Cary's homeland. In the metal bowl is Zach's homemade ice cream. Delicious with strawberries!

In case you're wondering: I won.

1 comment:

  1. You know I LOVE me some board games! Unfortunately I married a man who despises them, so my board game life is like one of a young child's: constantly begging someone to play with me. I keep hearing about this Settlers of Catan business and am DYING to play. Hurry on home you two!

    ReplyDelete