Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Day in the Field

While Zach is at home in Lilongwe preparing for his parents' visit I'm still up here sweating it out, fighting mosquitoes and doing field work in Mzimba.

This morning as we were pulling out of the district hospital parking lot to go out to a health center I heard screams and saw a large crowd forming around something. As we pulled next to the crowd I could see a woman sitting on the ground in the middle. My driver had a short conversation with the security guard in the crowd. I asked why they were all staring and screaming at the woman. His answer was "Witchcraft. She was flying." Oh. I watched two people drag the witch away in my side view mirror.

This afternoon we returned to the district hospital to drop off a girl with a broken leg who we collected from the site of a car accident on our way home from our day of work. My team made her a splint out of branches and a scarf and she suffered it out for 45 minutes on a bumpy dirt road before we dropped her, her shin bones floating in her leg the whole way. My driver took pictures of the nurses loading her on her stretcher with his cell phone.

It is such a relief to wash off the red dirt in an ice cold shower and hide under my mosquito net for the evening.

1 comment:

  1. You guys should definitely take advantage of the opportunity to learn how to fly.

    ReplyDelete