Saturday, December 1, 2012

Mmmm...mangos.

One great thing about living in Africa is cheap mangos (and in the winter, avocados, though I don't eat those). They make a great breakfast! On the way back from Blantyre we passed through Mango Central so we pulled over. Buying mangos out here is way cheaper than in Lilongwe. If I were Zach I would make you guess how much a bucket of mangos from the middle row cost but I'm not Zach so I'm just going to tell you that we paid about 70 cents for the whole bucket (about 25 mangos).

Beginning tomorrow I'm off to Dedza for the work week. That was the site of the previous hiking photos, though I expect I'll be too busy visiting health centers to be doing much hiking.

3 comments:

  1. those look like good quality mangoes. not the dried up shriveled kind we get here in the US. That was one of my favorite things about Brazil fresh fruit, dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mangos are everyone and truly local. Making that point even more was one of the guards telling me that "the mangos are finished!" I thought they just started!!! Living here is making us all the more aware of the seasons of food and, especially, fruit. Which is better: shriveled mangos all year or two weeks of the best mangos out there?

      Delete
  2. I love this photo!

    ReplyDelete