Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Weather

One common question--Kristen, Pops, others...--is about the weather. What is it like?

When Serena arrived she could see her breath at night which, if you are like me, was quite surprising. At 3,440 feet we are somewhat protected from the stereotypical sub-saharan African heat, meaning as we enter the hot part of the year, rather than 100+ degrees and humid, it is high 80's and low 90's without the moisture.

Rather than four distinct seasons, the year is separated into the wet and dry seasons: wet from December to (I've been told) about March/April; dry the rest of the year. At the height of "winter" the nights are chilly and the days are dry and perfect: in the 70's and 80's. I found it endlessly humorous during this time when I would be wearing shorts and still sweating while Malawians would have on three layers and a stocking cap. I guess it is all relative. As we close in on the rainy season the daytime temperatures are in the 80's and 90's and feels much like summer in La Grande (for those not in the know: my hometown in Eastern Oregon). In the two months I've been here there has been exactly 10 minutes of rain.

During this transition to hotter temperatures we have experienced a significant increase in wind. Everyday it blows fairly constantly at 10-20 miles per hour. I've been told that as the rainy season starts the winds will recede. I have also been told that the rainy season, unlike Corvallis's awful five month rain blanket, is much like what Florida experiences: hard rain at some point during the day for a few hours and then pleasant weather. This is all hearsay, so expect an update in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment